Women's Artistic Gymnastics (WAG)
Our Women's Artistic Gymnastics programme follows the national level STEP programme which has been designed by Gymsports New Zealand for talented gymnasts competing at a national level. Each Step is divided into age groups that give both younger and older girls the opprtunity to compete against their peers. A ribbon award scheme operates for Step 1-6 as both an incentive and as recognition of their achievements, with four different coloured ribbons signifying the scores they've achieved. Gymnasts perform routines across four apparatus, vault, uneven bars, balance beam and floor.
Competitions generally run over the winter months and often involve travel to Dunedin or Christchurch and beyond for those girls at elite levels qualifing for national events. Entry into the programme is by invitation only, please contact the club for further information.
Men's Artistic Gymnastics (MAG)
Unfortunately this program is not currently running - Contact us if you are interested in MAG
SCG cater for competitive mens artistic gymnasts of all levels. Men complete routines across six different apparatus:
- Floor - Tumbling routines that reflect strength, balance and flexibility.
- Pommel Horse - A difficult apparatus that uses upper body strength to swing in circular movements along the horse.
- Rings - Aerial display that requires control, strength and balance.
- Vault - Aerial skills that require power.
- Parallel Bars - Swinging display requiring upper body strength.
- Horizontal Bar - A spectacular aerial apparatus that displays acrobatic talents and landing skills.